Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Love-at- first sight


Do you believe in Love -at- first sight?

"YES, I believe in love at first sight. It's because... like this and like that and so on and so fourth..."

As I've picked the question during our sharing last Tuesday in our prayer meeting, I didn't actually have an ample time to think of a better answer. I was caught by the moment I picked the question. Until now, I couldn't think of a more precise reason why I answered it that way. A day had passed and I'm still thinking about it and yet not certain if I've answered it honestly or I just felt a zing of a moment that time.

I keep on asking myself, "do I really believe in love at first sight? Do I or not?" and then, ding! the wind blows my mind and clear the thoughts I have... I realized that I actually should have answered NO.  I just realized that my answer wasn't that honest as I've thought it was. Maybe during that very moment, I just didn't realized how dense and lengthy the question was. Might also be that the time given to me to answer the question was not enough to think of a precise and a much more upright and a well-thought answer.

Nevertheless, as I've now realized my answer to that question I've come to think that love isn't always found at  first sight. Maybe for some people they proved it true but for me, I actually don't think you will feel love at first sight. It could possibly be that, "you LIKE at first sight". In my point of view, love isn't something you immediately give to someone at first encounter (I am talking here of such stranger to one another persons).

As one of my brother in the community said, "love isn't a responsibility but an obligation", thus, how will you feel obligated when you don't even know the person yet. Love grows when you've come to know the person more. It happens when you are there to watch each other grow. Liking is definitely different from loving. Love is a deeper feeling than liking. As one of my favorite idol also said, "liking is the feeling of a dandelion gently landing on the ground - it's warm and joyous. Love is the feeling of watching a dandelion seed growing on the ground and eventually blossoming. If it's liking, it can be the dandelion seed that comes and goes with the wind. However, if it's love, for it to blossom, you have to water it and shield it from the wind and you have to take special care of it."

In the same way, I looked at love like that. It takes a lot to know what is love, it's not the big things but the little things that can mean enough. There are also times when love comes and grows out from likeness. Maybe you'll like the person first and eventually you'll learn to love the person in him or her.
Essentially, love gives us different lessons everyday. It will teach us the important things we should also be learning in this God-given life - how to forgive, to trust, to understand, to accept, to appreciate, and to be compassionate.  And out of love also, we keep on doing things like this and like that. It's the love we have for someone that most of the time motivates and inspires us to keep on going, to persevere with, to hold on and believe, to listen and trust, to fight and live, to laugh, to share hugs and comforts  in continuing the journey each day despite life's imperfections.

As to my answer to the question, I can now firmly and honestly say that I had given the wrong answer at first, but now... I just realized that Love doesn't come at first sight.




No comments:

Post a Comment